For those under-the-weather days: rotisserie chicken, carrots, parsnips, potatoes, herbs and spices and a dash of lemon make the ultimate comfort food, Freezer Chicken Soup!
- 1 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion
- 2 leeks
- 4 stalks celery
- 4 large carrots
- 2 parsnips
- 4 red potatoes
- 3 quarts chicken stock or water
- 1 large deli roasted chicken (or bone-in chicken thighs, breasts, etc.)
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley
- 2 Tbsp. fresh thyme
- 1/2 tsp. turmeric
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- 2 bay leaves
- Salt and pepper to taste (be pretty liberal, especially with the pepper!)
- 1-2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- Grated pecorino or parmesan cheese, optional
- Heat evoo in large stock pot.
- Chop onion, leeks and celery. Rinse leeks thoroughly to remove dirt. Add to pot and sauté about five minutes.
- Peel and chop carrots and parsnips and chop potatoes. Add to pot. Continue to sauté five more minutes.
- Add chicken stock and place the whole deli chicken in pot. Stir veggies around so chicken settles towards bottom of pot.
- Add herbs and spices and simmer about 20 minutes, until chicken starts to fall off bones.
- Take chicken out of pot, cut meat off bones and add meat back into pot.
- Squeeze lemon juice into pot and adjust seasonings.
- Serve with grated pecorino or parmesan, if desired.
- Make soup and divide into smaller portions. Place in freezer ziplocs and freeze flat. Thaw and reheat for quick, easy meals!
For more recipes like this, visit Kiwi & Carrot, produced by our food blogger, Sarah Romero.