by Sherelle Christensen, www.sherellechristensen.typepad.com
Holiday shopping, parties and baking can keep us all busy during December. I always struggle to find time and motivation to make dinner when things are hectic, but this soup recipe is easy to make, and my whole family loves it. In fact, my kids always want me to double the recipe so they can take it in a thermo to school the next day for lunch. If you’re like me, you love lasagna, but don’t always have the time or energy to make this complicated dish. This yummy soup gives you the delicious lasagna flavor, without all the work.
- 1 lb. hamburger
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
Season hamburger with salt and pepper, and brown in a large pot then drain grease. Add onions and garlic and sauté about three to four minutes. Add the following ingredients to the pot:
- 3 (10.5 oz) cans diced tomatoes (I often use a quart jar of my home canned-stewed tomatoes instead.)
- 2 (8 oz) cans tomato sauce (You can substitute tomato paste if you prefer a thicker soup.)
- 1 1/2 cups beef stock
- 3 Tbs. fresh chopped basil (I sometimes substitute my homemade pesto and get great results.)
- 1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 1 (24 oz) bag frozen cheese ravioli (I like the Celentano brand mini rounds.)
After adding frozen ravioli to soup mixture, bring it to a light boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 20-25 minutes. While the soup is simmering, mix ingredients for the gooey cheese portion of the soup.
GOOEY LASAGNA CHEESE FILLING
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup fresh grated parmesan cheese
- Season lightly with salt and pepper
Now it’s time to eat! Remove bay leaves from the pot and fill your bowl with the warm soup mixture. Top with a dollop of the gooey cheese mixture and sprinkle with grated mozzarella cheese.