Lunchtime during the summer can be a difficult task for moms when their picky eaters just want to be running around with friends, playing in the sprinklers or riding bikes around the neighborhood.
Pita pizzas are a great lunch for kids, because lunch prep can actually be a fun activity. There are so many different toppings for these pizzas and kids love to make their own personalized version. If you let the kids make their own pizzas, it will eliminate the complaints of ‘I don’t like pepperoni’ and it’s a fun activity for you and your children to enjoy together.
This can also be a great lunch for neighborhood parties and get-togethers. Both children and adults will love these versatile and delicious personalized pita pizzas.
Pita pizza for the kids
Note: This list includes just a few ideas for toppings. Be creative!
- Bread: Pita bread, whole-wheat or white
- Sauce: Pizza or tomato sauce
- Your kid’s favorite type of cheese, shredded or grated
- Meat: pepperoni, ham, chicken, etc.
- Fruit or veggie: pineapple, tomatoes, red peppers, olives, etc.
A gourmet version for mom: “The Greek Pita Pizza”
- Pita bread
- Sauce: Olive oil with 1 garlic clove mixed in
- Feta cheese
- Grilled chicken, cubed
- Handful of cherry tomatoes
- Zucchini, (about 4 slices)
- Fresh basil
- Balsamic vinegar to drizzle on top
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place the pita bread on a baking sheet and assemble desired toppings on top of the pitas.
- Bake in the oven for about 10 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and the bread begins to turn a golden brown.
- Remove from the oven, allow to cool slightly and enjoy!