Nothing beats a steaming bowl of French Onion Soup on a cool, autumn day. Make a batch of cheesy baguette toasts to dip in it, and you have a simple, quick and delicious dinner ready in 30 minutes.
Ingredients: *Serves 6
- 3 red onions
- 3 leeks
- 3 carrots
- 2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 2 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 3 tsp. dried thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 cups beef stock
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- One baguette loaf
- 2 cups shredded Gruyere or Swiss cheese
- Cut onions into thin strips. Cut leeks into rings and wash thoroughly. Cut ends off carrots and chop in half.
- Heat oil in large pot. Add onions, leeks and carrots, and sauté over medium heat until fairly soft.
- Add butter and melt. Sprinkle with cornstarch and stir until dissolved.
- Add thyme, salt and pepper.
- Add stock slowly, while stirring, and add Worcestershire and vinegar.
- Simmer 10 minutes or so. Adjust seasonings.
- While soup simmers, cut baguette into rounds and place on cookie sheet.
- Add cheese to rounds, place under broiler and broil until cheese is melted.
- Before serving, remove carrots. (Carrots can be discarded or used in another recipe.)
- Serve in soup bowls with cheesy bread on top.
For more recipes like this, visit Kiwi & Carrot, produced by our food blogger, Sarah Romero.